Election Commission examining Narendra Modi`s video message
New Delhi: The Election Commission on Monday said it was examining complaints that BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi violated electoral laws by delivering a video message to voters when polling was underway in 41 constituencies, including Varanasi.
"Yes, there was a complaint... The matter is under examination," Deputy EC Vinod Zutshi told reporters here.
"His (Modi`s) address to voters in Varanasi seeking votes for himself is a clear violation of the provisions of the Representation of the People Act and the Model Code of Conduct," Congress said in a complaint to the poll body and demanded "immediate action" against Modi and BJP.
Modi, contesting from Varanasi, spoke about the `Ganga- Jamuni tehzeeb` of the holy city and appealed to its voters to reflect the spirit of unity and harmony through their votes.
Responding to complaints that names of nearly 6000 voters in minority-dominated areas of Varanasi were missing, Zutshi said the EC has received interim report in this regard which stated that some people with voter cards did not find their names in the electoral rolls though they had voted in the last elections.
He said investigations were on as to how many names were missing. He said EC will take "corrective action" if names were deleted wrongfully.
He also said EC pursues all complaints and FIRs regarding poll code and electoral law violations till they reach their "logical conclusion".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says