Election Commission is not God of politics: Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Azam Khan challenged the Election Commission (EC) on Thursday to take action against him and dared them to cancel his membership to the Uttar Pradesh Assembly.
In what can be termed as brazen the SP leader said, “"EC is not the God of politics.”
Azam Khan`s reaction came after the EC issued a fresh notice to him for continuously violating the model code of conduct. This was done following complaints and reports by poll authorities in Uttar Pradesh.
Overlooking the Election Commission`s order barring him from campaigning in Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan on April 22 had allegedly campaigned for his party in the wake of ongoing Lok Sabha polls.
Khan along with BJP leader Amit Shah was banned on April 11 from holding public meetings and road shows in UP for making inflammatory speeches during the course of their campaigning.
Later the ban was lifted on Shah after the BJP leader apologised to the EC and promised to follow electoral rules.
Khan alleged that the EC was biased towards the BJP. He also said that he would move the Supreme Court against the poll panel`s order barring him from campaigning in the state.
Azam was penalised by the poll panel for trying to polarise voters and saying at a public meeting that it was the Muslim soldiers who had won the Kargil war.
Later, he defended his remarks said that his remarks on Kargil should be welcomed and found no harm in talking about the contributions of Muslims for the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video