Election Commission is not God of politics: Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan
Zee Media Bureau/Manisha Singh
Lucknow: Samajwadi Party (SP) leader Azam Khan challenged the Election Commission (EC) on Thursday to take action against him and dared them to cancel his membership to the Uttar Pradesh Assembly.
In what can be termed as brazen the SP leader said, “"EC is not the God of politics.”
Azam Khan`s reaction came after the EC issued a fresh notice to him for continuously violating the model code of conduct. This was done following complaints and reports by poll authorities in Uttar Pradesh.
Overlooking the Election Commission`s order barring him from campaigning in Uttar Pradesh, Samajwadi Party leader Azam Khan on April 22 had allegedly campaigned for his party in the wake of ongoing Lok Sabha polls.
Khan along with BJP leader Amit Shah was banned on April 11 from holding public meetings and road shows in UP for making inflammatory speeches during the course of their campaigning.
Later the ban was lifted on Shah after the BJP leader apologised to the EC and promised to follow electoral rules.
Khan alleged that the EC was biased towards the BJP. He also said that he would move the Supreme Court against the poll panel`s order barring him from campaigning in the state.
Azam was penalised by the poll panel for trying to polarise voters and saying at a public meeting that it was the Muslim soldiers who had won the Kargil war.
Later, he defended his remarks said that his remarks on Kargil should be welcomed and found no harm in talking about the contributions of Muslims for the country.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Should strict action be taken against stone pelters of J&K?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!