Elections 2014: Sonia Gandhi to address rally in Delhi today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In an attempt to boost Congress` campaign for the upcoming General Elections, party president Sonia Gandhi will address a rally in the national capital on Sunday.
Sonia will address the rally at Ajmal Khan Park in Karol Bagh in New Delhi constituency. Party leaders say Sonia`s rally will bolster the party`s flagging morale before Delhi goes to the polls April 10.
The New Delhi constituency is represented by Congress leader Ajay Maken, who is pitched against BJP`s Meenakshi Lekhi and AAP`s journalist-turned-politician Ashish Khetan.
The grand old party had suffered a massive setback in the 2012 Delhi Assembly elections. It had managed to bag just 8 seats in the 70-member Delhi Assembly. The AAP under the leadership of Arvind Kejriwal had won 28 and the BJP 32.
To give final touches to the preparations for the rally, AICC general secretary and in-charge of Delhi Affairs Shakeel Ahmed, Delhi Congress president Arvinder Singh, senior leader Haroon Yusuf among others inspected the Ajmal Khan Park on Saturday.
Mukesh Sharma, chief spokesperson of Delhi Congress said, "We have made preparations for 30,000 people. It will be a very successful rally.”
Major arrangements of transportation have been made to ensure there is a big crowd, said Sharma.
According to experts, retaining Delhi`s seven parliamentary constituencies would be an uphill task for the Congress whose image has been marred by a string of corruption scandals.
He said that the party, after taking the security aspect into consideration, has decided to make small galleries for the smooth entry of people so that they can listen to the speech of Congress president.
Asked about the poor attendance in Congress rallies during last year`s assembly elections, Sharma said: "People of Delhi have faith in Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi. There was enthusiasm in people for them, but the organisation let us down. The preparations were not adequate."
With PTI/IANS inputs
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mumbai: Police arrests 4 schoolboys for raping classmate
- Haryana minister Anil Vij gets into spat with Fatehabad SP Sangeeta Kalia
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's controversial statement on PoK
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's full speech in Parliament
- DNA: Heart-wrenching stories of Kashmiri pandits
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Kim Jong-Un issues bizarre diktat, asks North Korean men to copy his hairstyle, women to follow his wife
- Muslim man sends 'talaq' SMS to wife after learning about her gang-rape
- WATCH: Rare CCTV video of Ajmal Kasab and other terrorists of 26/11 Mumbai attacks
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's speech in Parliament on Constitution debate