Elections 2014: Sonia Gandhi to address rally in Delhi today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In an attempt to boost Congress` campaign for the upcoming General Elections, party president Sonia Gandhi will address a rally in the national capital on Sunday.
Sonia will address the rally at Ajmal Khan Park in Karol Bagh in New Delhi constituency. Party leaders say Sonia`s rally will bolster the party`s flagging morale before Delhi goes to the polls April 10.
The New Delhi constituency is represented by Congress leader Ajay Maken, who is pitched against BJP`s Meenakshi Lekhi and AAP`s journalist-turned-politician Ashish Khetan.
The grand old party had suffered a massive setback in the 2012 Delhi Assembly elections. It had managed to bag just 8 seats in the 70-member Delhi Assembly. The AAP under the leadership of Arvind Kejriwal had won 28 and the BJP 32.
To give final touches to the preparations for the rally, AICC general secretary and in-charge of Delhi Affairs Shakeel Ahmed, Delhi Congress president Arvinder Singh, senior leader Haroon Yusuf among others inspected the Ajmal Khan Park on Saturday.
Mukesh Sharma, chief spokesperson of Delhi Congress said, "We have made preparations for 30,000 people. It will be a very successful rally.”
Major arrangements of transportation have been made to ensure there is a big crowd, said Sharma.
According to experts, retaining Delhi`s seven parliamentary constituencies would be an uphill task for the Congress whose image has been marred by a string of corruption scandals.
He said that the party, after taking the security aspect into consideration, has decided to make small galleries for the smooth entry of people so that they can listen to the speech of Congress president.
Asked about the poor attendance in Congress rallies during last year`s assembly elections, Sharma said: "People of Delhi have faith in Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi. There was enthusiasm in people for them, but the organisation let us down. The preparations were not adequate."
With PTI/IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Exclusive report on the extreme sacrifices made by ITBP soldiers
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees