Elections 2014: Sonia Gandhi to address rally in Delhi today
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: In an attempt to boost Congress` campaign for the upcoming General Elections, party president Sonia Gandhi will address a rally in the national capital on Sunday.
Sonia will address the rally at Ajmal Khan Park in Karol Bagh in New Delhi constituency. Party leaders say Sonia`s rally will bolster the party`s flagging morale before Delhi goes to the polls April 10.
The New Delhi constituency is represented by Congress leader Ajay Maken, who is pitched against BJP`s Meenakshi Lekhi and AAP`s journalist-turned-politician Ashish Khetan.
The grand old party had suffered a massive setback in the 2012 Delhi Assembly elections. It had managed to bag just 8 seats in the 70-member Delhi Assembly. The AAP under the leadership of Arvind Kejriwal had won 28 and the BJP 32.
To give final touches to the preparations for the rally, AICC general secretary and in-charge of Delhi Affairs Shakeel Ahmed, Delhi Congress president Arvinder Singh, senior leader Haroon Yusuf among others inspected the Ajmal Khan Park on Saturday.
Mukesh Sharma, chief spokesperson of Delhi Congress said, "We have made preparations for 30,000 people. It will be a very successful rally.”
Major arrangements of transportation have been made to ensure there is a big crowd, said Sharma.
According to experts, retaining Delhi`s seven parliamentary constituencies would be an uphill task for the Congress whose image has been marred by a string of corruption scandals.
He said that the party, after taking the security aspect into consideration, has decided to make small galleries for the smooth entry of people so that they can listen to the speech of Congress president.
Asked about the poor attendance in Congress rallies during last year`s assembly elections, Sharma said: "People of Delhi have faith in Sonia Gandhi and Rahul Gandhi. There was enthusiasm in people for them, but the organisation let us down. The preparations were not adequate."
With PTI/IANS inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre