Every third newly elected MP has criminal background
New Delhi: Every third of the newly elected member of the Lok Sabha has a criminal background, an analysis of the disclosures they have made in their affidavits has shown.
An analysis of 541 of the 543 winning candidates by National Election Watch (NEW) and Association for Democratic Reforms (ADR) shows that 186 or 34 percent newly elected MPs have in their election affidavits disclosed criminal cases against themselves.
In 2009, 30 percent of the Lok Sabha members had criminal cases. This has now gone up by four percent.
According to the analysis, a candidate with criminal cases had 13 percent chance of winning in the 2014 Lok Sabha election whereas it was five percent for an aspirant with a clean record.
Of the 186 new members, 112 (21 percent) have declared serious criminal cases, including those related to murder, attempt to murder, causing communal disharmony, kidnapping, crimes against women etc.
Party wise, the largest numbers 98 or 35 percent of the 281 winners from the BJP have in their affidavits declared criminal cases against themselves.
Eight (18 percent) of the 44 winners from the Congress, six (16 percent) of the 37 winners from the AIADMK, 15 (83 percent) of the 18 winners from the Shiv Sena, and seven (21 percent) of the 34 winners fielded by Trinamool Congress also have disclosed criminal cases against themselves.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof