FIR against RJD MP, supporters for poll-related offence
Chhapra: An FIR was on Thursday lodged against RJD MP Prabhunath Singh and his supporters under sections of the Representation of the People Act, 1951 for poll-related offence in Bihar`s Saran district, official sources said.
Deputy Collector Dharmenda Kumar lodged an FIR at Town police station against Singh, his private secretary Jitendra Singh and unidentified supporters for obstructing government work by breaking a barricade during filing of nomination by the MP from the Maharajganj parliamentary seat on April 15 last, the sources said.
As per the complaint, Singh and his supporters had broken the barricade set up near Town police station chowk and stormed into the district collectorate premises for filing of nomination by the RJD MP against permissible entry of only five persons, they said.
The RJD MP was granted permission to carry out road show upto Town police station chowk from the municipality entry point only before filing of nomination, the sources said, adding Singh`s private secretary Jitendra Singh too has been booked on same charges as he had applied for permission for the road show.
Meanwhile, district officials were probing allegations against Singh that he had instigated party workers to cast more than one vote.
Addressing an election meeting at the Zilla School Maidan along with former Chief Minister Rabri Devi after filing of nomination by her from the Saran parliamentary seat on April 12, the RJD MP had allegedly exhorted party workers to press buttons on EVMs more than once and use all means to bring loyal voters to polling stations on election day.
The district authorities had show-caused Singh after a probe by a Sub-Divisional Officer (SDO), but the RJD MP denied the charge and demanded the CD of his speech to be made available to him.
A CD has been made available to the MP and a reply is awaited, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- RJD strongman Shahabuddin brought to Delhi
- UP elections in third phase; voting on 69 seats of 12 districts
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- 'BJP is winning by absolute majority in Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections'
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating on 'record' Puma deal
- Virat Kohli becomes first Indian sportsperson to sign Rs 100-crore endorsement deal
- Uttar Pradesh Assembly elections 2017: Samajwadi Party's 'kaam bolta hai' slogan faces litmus test