Five out of 7 BJP candidates in Delhi facing criminal cases
New Delhi: Five out of seven BJP candidates who are in fray in the Lok Sabha elections from the national capital have criminal cases against them with four of them even facing serious charges like kidnapping, criminal intimidation and extortion, a report said today.
According to the report of Association of Democratic Reforms (ADR) and Delhi Election Watch (DEW) after analysing the self-sworn affidavits of all the 150 candidates who are in fray for the seven Lok Sabha seats in the city, 23 candidates have criminal cases against them while 13 of them are facing serious criminal cases.
Out of this, Maheish Girri of BJP from East Delhi constituency has declared the highest count of serious IPC charges i.E. Four. He is followed by Sunil Chhikara an Independent candidate from North West Delhi Constituency and Mahabal Mishra of Congress from West Delhi Constituency, with three IPC cases each.
"Five (71 per cent) of the seven candidates fielded by BJP, two (29 per cent) candidates each from Congress and BSP out of the seven candidates have criminal charges cases against them," the report said.
While two (67 per cent) out of three candidates fielded by Shiv Sena (SHS), one (14 per cent) out of the seven candidates of AAP, one candidate each from both Agar Jan Party and Rashtriya Ekta Party and nine (16 per cent) out of 58 Independent candidates have declared criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits, the analysis revealed.
"Out of all 150 candidates analysed, 23 candidates (15 per cent) have declared criminal cases against themselves. 13 (nine per cent) of which have declared serious criminal cases including those related to kidnapping, criminal intimidation, extortion etc," the report said.
Four out of seven candidates of BJP are facing serious criminal cases. Two out of seven candidates of BSP, two out of three candidates of SHS, one out of seven candidates of Congress and four out of 58 Independent candidates have declared serious criminal cases against themselves in their affidavits.
When it comes to crime against women, Mohammad Shakeel Saifi of BSP from East Delhi constituency has declared a case related to assault or criminal force to woman with intent to outrage her modesty (IPC Section-354) and word, gesture or act intended to insult the modesty of a woman (IPC Section-509).
Other than this, two candidates have declared cases related to kidnapping.
The report further states that two constituencies - North East and West Delhi - have at least three candidates from political parties with declared criminal cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert