Fresh war of words between Amarinder, Jaitley
Amritsar: Captain Amarinder Singh and BJP leader Arjun Singh were on Monday locked in a fresh war of words as campaign ended in this high-profile Lok Sabha constituency going to polls on Apr 30.
The verbal joust occurred as the former Chief Minister`s charged the eminent lawyer accusing him of giving opinion to a company allegedly involved in coal allocation scam and lobbying for power project for a private firm with the Madhya Pradesh government.
Questioning the "high moral ground" of Jaitley on corruption and black money and his attacks on Priyanka Gandhi, Singh today asked him to "come clean" on the two issues.
Describing Jaitley`s attack against the Gandhi family as a "classic example of the pot calling the kettle black", said, it is an irony that he (Jaitley) led the protests in parliament against coal allocations to various private companies while so conveniently choosing to ignore his own stand and opinion given just a few years ago that benefited two companies.
"Imagine a man whose own hands are stained black, trying to malign the image of someone just because his party is not able to counter her charisma", he said while lashing out at Jaitley accusing him of maligning the image of Priyanka Gandhi.
"His values and standards of probity seem to change with situations and circumstances", the Congress candidate remarked.
Hitting back, Jaitley said, "it is a part of disgraceful conduct of Capt Amarinder Singh that he has started issuing malicious and false statements without understanding their implications. The Captain has not had the benefit of formal higher education.
"I can, therefore, understand his lack of knowledge and understanding. He has questioned my motives in giving legal advice to clients. Only a man who has not worked for a living for the past few decades can question my legitimate right and obligation as a lawyer to give correct legal advice to litigants and clients."
He said the statement issued by Singh besides being false was the result of frustration when faced with a certain defeat.
"Every word of what he has said is false," Jaitley said alleging Singh was a man of "dubious integrity" facing corruption cases while "he can`t match my integrity standards".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bihar polls: Lalu's younger son claims to be older than elder brother
- Rahul Gandhi received pay while on 56 day leave: Organizer
- Mega sale: Snapdeal, Flipkart, others gear up for festive season
- Zee Media Exclusive: Three Romanians arrested in skimming scam in Mumbai
- Dadri lynching: Azam Khan seeks UN intervention
- Salman Khan, Aamir Khan's friendship turns sour? Here's the truth
- India vs South Africa: How cricket fraternity reacted to crowd's disgraceful behaviour at Cuttack
- Dadri lynching: Any threat to secular fabric of country will not be tolerated, says Rajnath Singh
- 'Rahul Gandhi gets pay without work'
- Dadri Police recommends FIR against Mahesh Sharma, Sangeet Som, Naseemuddin Siddiqui