General Elections 2014: BJP-NDA poll win `done deal`, says UK`s Lord Desai
London: Predicting a victory for the BJP-led alliance in the ongoing General Election, leading NRI economist Lord Meghnad Desai on Monday said Narendra Modi as prime minister will push for economic growth in India.
"The BJP-NDA will form the new government, that is a done deal and not worth even taking a bet on. And, it will be a very strong coalition," Lord Desai said during a session on `Economic and Political Outlook` at the Global Wealth Management Conclave 2014 here.
"Narendra Modi will be the first state chief minister to become Prime Minister, who will push the growth agenda quite a lot. Infrastructure will be a big, big item on the agenda of the new government and it will also prove investor friendly," he said while addressing an audience of wealth experts at the event jointly organised by UK-based news website India Inc and international accountancy and consultancy firm BDO.
The senior academic and commentator also forecast a take-off in India`s growth trajectory under a Modi-led government.
"Modi will prove a decisive PM and under him the growth rate will hit 6.5 per cent by the end of 2015 and 8.5 per cent by the government`s mid-term," he predicted.
His views were largely echoed by fellow parliamentarian and NRI entrepreneur Cobra Beer chief Lord Karan Bilimoria.
"Narendra Modi has a reputation of getting things done. It was the BJP that set up the Pravasi Bharatiya Divas to engage with the 30-million strong Indian diaspora around the world and an India under the new government will be outward looking and investment friendly," Lord Bilimoria said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know