Glitch in EVM leads to 1 hr delay in declaring results
Dharmapuri (TN): A glitch in an EVM led to an hour delay in declaring the results in Dharmapuri Lok Sabha Constituency today, from where PMK candidate Dr Anbumani Ramadoss emerged victorious.
The incident occurred during the sixth round of counting at A Raddihalli of Pennagaram assembly segment when the EVM failed to release the button as officials pressed it to count the votes.
Of 1050 voters, 1034 votes were polled in that machine. As it was not able to release the button for counting, officials kept it idle and tried the exercise after the counting was over, but in vain.
Though Dr Anbumani Ramadoss won by 77,146 votes defeating P S Mohan (AIADMK), officials kept their fingers crossed to handle the EVM, which led to a delay in announcing the result.
On Election Observer Vinoth Singh Bagale`s advise, Returning Officer and Collector K Vivekanandan faxed the message to the Election Commission and acted on its directive to take steps to prepare declaration certificate to Dr. Anbumani Ramadoss after an hour`s delay.
The faulty EVM has been kept in the strong room for further action, the sources added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Will India's SAARC summit boycott change Pak's attitude towards terrorism?
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- WATCH: At 430/9, India needed 24 runs to avoid follow on. What Kapil Dev did next will blow your mind!