Gurudas Kamat has fielded a dummy candidate, alleges AAP
Mumbai: The Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) on Thursday attacked Congress candidate from Mumbai North West constituency, Gurudas Kamat, here today, alleging he had fielded a "dummy" candidate from the same constituency to increase his chances of winning the seat.
"An independent candidate called Pratik Toraskar, contesting from North West Lok Sabha constituency, is actually a dummy candidate propped by Gurudas Kamat. We have brought the facts related to this information to the notice of the election officer," AAP candidate from the Mumbai North West constituency Mayank Gandhi told reporters.
Gandhi said Toraskar`s election agent Mahesh Malik had contested Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) elections in 2012 as a Congress candidate and until April 8, 2014, Malik was shown as a "vice president" on the website of Congress party`s Mumbai North West District Committee.
"AAP has complained to the Returning Officer that the conduct of Kamat, Toraskar and Malik is a corrupt practice which is in gross violation of provisions of Section 123 (4) of the Representation of People Act, 1951 as well as Sections 171(G) and 171(H) of the Indian Penal Code," Gandhi said.
When PTI asked Gandhi to elaborate on the Returning Officer`s reaction, he claimed "the Election Commission has said that this is a fit case for the independent candidate`s disqualification. We will be moving to the High Court once the election process is over".
However, after PTI spoke to Congress candidate Gurudas Kamat, he refuted AAP`s allegations and charged AAP is resorting to such tactics merely to "malign" his image.
"What will I get by fielding a dummy candidate? I had won the Lok Sabha elections fiver times previously and I don`t need a dummy to win for the sixth time. I don`t even know this person they are talking about," Kamat told.
Gandhi also alleged BJP-Shiv Sena candidate for Mumbai North West constituency, Gajanan Kirtikar, made false statements in his affidavit.
"Kirtikar suppressed facts about his second wife and her assets in his affidavit. This issue was also raised by Congress party and details about his second wife can be verified by cross-checking details of voters on the website of the Chief Electoral Office, Maharashtra," Gandhi said.
Gajanan Kirtikar was unavailable for comment.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’