Harish Rawat`s wife, Vijay Bahuguna`s son to contest LS polls
New Delhi: Chief Minister Harish Rawat`s wife Renuka Rawat and former chief minister Vijay Bahuguna`s son Saket Bahuguna figure in the list of Lok Sabha candidates from Uttarakhand announced by Congress Wednesday.
While Rawat`s wife has been fielded from the Haridwar seat represented by him in the past, Saket will contest from Tehri Garwhal, a constituency from where his father had won in 2009 Lok Sabha polls.
The third candidae finalised by Congress is senior minister in the state government Harak Singh Rawat, who will contest from the Pauri Garwhal seat represented by Satpal Maharaj, who recently switched over to BJP from Congress.
Vijay Bahuguna had resigned from the seat after becoming the Uttarakhand Chief Minister in 2012. Later, in a Lok Sabha by-poll from the seat, BJP candidate Mala Rajya Laxmi defeated Saket by a margin of over 22000 votes.
Harish Rawat, who had won from Haridwar in 2009 and served as a Union minister in the UPA government, resigned from the seat earlier this year after being made the Chief Minister of the state.
Rawat`s wife has been pitted against former BJP Chief Minister Bhuvan Chandra Khanduri from the seat.
Bahuguna was made the Chief Minister of the state after 2012 Assembly elections despite a virtual rebellion by the Rawat camp.
With candidates from three seats announced today, Congress has declared its nominees from all the five Lok Sabha seats in the state.
It has already fielded its sitting MPs K C Singh Baba and Pradeep Tamta from Nainital and Almora seats respectively.
Sources said the party decided to field Saket Bahuguna from Tehri after his father Vijay Bahuguna refused to contest from the seat.
Jolted by sitting MP from Pauri Satpal Maharaj`s sudden defection to BJP, Congress had a tough time selecting a candidate for the Pauri Garhwal seat as it briefly toyed with the idea of fielding Lt Gen (retd) Gambhir Singh Negi but droppped it in view of his political inexperience, the sources said.
Harak Singh Rawat fitted the bill, being a seasoned politician and a prominent member of Harish Rawat`s cabinet.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know