Haryana village boycotts LS polls
Kaithal: Majority of voters in a village in Kaithal district of Haryana on Thursday boycotted the Lok Sabha polls in protest against inclusion of their village in a new Assembly constituency in the last delimitation.
Villagers of Kakaut boycotted the polls as they protested against the inclusion of their village in Kalayat Assembly constituency in the last delimitation in stead of Kaithal Assembly constituency, official sources said.
Kalayat is located about 45 km away from the village while Kaithal was only about 12 km away. So it should have been a part of Kaithal assembly constituency, the villagers rued.
They said that Kakaut was one of the four Gujjar community dominated villages in the area, the other three being Sampli Kheri, Dhons and Kathwad. However, the other three villages were merged in Kaithal constituency, Kakaut was made a part of Kalayat constituency, they said.
District Election Officer cum Deputy Commissioner N K Solanki who visited the village along with S P Kuldeep Yadav tried hard to convince the villagers to exercise their franchise but their efforts went in vain.
Congress candidate for Kurukshetra Lok Sabha seat Naveen Jindal reached the village and hardly had he started speaking, the villagers started hooting, forcing him to cut short his speech and leave.
Leaders of some other parties too had to face a similar situation.
Only 16 of total 3,600 voters of the village exercised in the franchise soon after the polling started, official sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands