I have done my best to serve the nation: Manmohan Singh
Zee Media Bureau/Ritesh K Srivastava
New Delhi: After Congress party`s crushing defeat in the Lok Sabha polls, outgoing Prime Minister Dr Manmohan Singh on Saturday said that he was proud his government`s achievements in the past 10 years and extended his good wishes to the new government which will be sworn-in soon under the leadership of Narendra Modi.
Addressing the nation in a televised speech, an emotional Prime Minister said, “My dear countrymen, today as I address you for the last time as PM, I accept your verdict with humility. Even after I leave the post of PM, the love and affection you have given me will stay with me.”
“In last 10 years, India saw many successes and achievements that we should be proud of. India`s stronger now than it was 10 years ago and it has been a pleasure serving this great nation as PM," Dr Singh said.
“I have done my best best to serve the nation and I wish the next government all the best and hope it achieves much more,” Dr Singh said in his concise speech.
Dr Singh is due to meet President Pranab Mukherjee in a short while to tender his resignation to him. According to Rashtrapati Bhavan Press Secretary Venu Rajamony, the Prime Minister is expected to meet the President around 12:45 pm today.
Ahead of his meeting with the President, the 81-year-old Prime Minister will hold a customary meeting of the Union Cabinet. In the last Cabinet meeting chaired by him, a resolution is expected to be moved by Home Minister Sushil Kumar Shinde, who is also Leader of the Lok Sabha, for dissolution of the 15th Lok Sabha.
After the meeting, Parliamentary Affairs Minister Kamal Nath is scheduled to call on the President recommending dissolution of the House. "The Parliamentary Affairs Minister sought time from the President and he has been given time at 1:15 pm on May 17," Press Secretary to the President Venu Rajamony said.
Singh became the Prime Minister in 2004 and retained the post in 2009.
He would later host tea for the members of his Council of Ministers after which the President will host a dinner for all of them. Singh will soon vacate his official residence at 7, Race Course Road and move into a bungalow at 3, Motilal Nehru Road.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zakir Naik's 'IRF' converted many to Islam?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?
- Is Zakir Naik's foundation converted many to Islam for monetary benefits?- Part II
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?
- Why Pakistan commits heinous crime in Balochistan and POK?- Part II
- LOL: Never ever say these annoying things to a tall person! – Watch video
- Max Landis writing 'Pepe Le Pew' movie!
- Demand to ban advertisements on fairness creams in RS
- Migaloo sighting alert! White humpback whale spotted off Australia's Byron Bay (See pic)
- 'Iron Lady' Irom Sharmila to end 16-year fast on August 9, contest elections in Manipur