If BJP wins, country will fall into grip of few rich: Rahul Gandhi
Khandwa: Stepping up his attack on the BJP, Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi today said if the party were to come to power at the Centre, the country will fall in the grip of a handful of very rich people.
"If BJP comes to power, the country will fall in the grip of only five to six very rich people," Gandhi said.
Addressing a rally at Khandwa Stadium in support of the sitting MP and Congress nominee Arun Yadav, he said today`s women need respect at all levels than just empowerment.
"BJP has put up posters saying they will give `shakti` to women. Today`s women are capable enough and more than empowerment, they need respect at all levels," he said.
Raking up the "snooping" controversy, Gandhi said, "Although the BJP talks of empowering women, a woman was stalked by the entire police force in Gujarat".
He said, "Unlike BJP, the Congress will work for the common man and will provide free medicines and treatment to poor".
Continuing his attack on the BJP`s Prime Minister candidate Narendra Modi over his "links with a prominent businessman", Gandhi said, "A businessman in Gujarat had been given 45,000 acres of land at throwaway rates (thus) hurting the interests of the poor".
"The turnover of this businessman was mere Rs 3 crore a decade back, but has gone up to at staggering Rs 40,000 crore now," Gandhi alleged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers