India votes in strength, but tech-savvy Bangalore disappoints
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Bangalore: On Thursday, the biggest day of India`s ongoing General Elections, Bangalore`s educated urban population was expected to come out in huge numbers to vote.
However, the city disappointed the most with only 54 percent voter turnout recorded.
In fact, the city used the extra holiday on Thursday to go on extended weekend break, with Friday, Saturday and Sunday too being holidays (the first one on account of Good Friday).
The city`s voter turnout was far less than the national average of 65.45 percent recorded for the 121 seats that saw polling on Thursday – the fifth phase of 2014 Lok Sabha elections.
Many were disappointed because the city failed to vote in good numbers despite there being a lot of buzz and excitement, especially among young voters.
The entry of the anti-corruption Aam Aadmi Party in national poll scene was expected to lure the tech-savvy, urban populace to poll booths. However, this factor too failed to result in queues at the polling stations.
Several voters, who came out to vote, blamed the indifferent attitude of the city`s populace for choosing to stay away from poll booths.
Bangalore has four Lok Sabha constituencies – Bangalore North, Bangalore South, Bangalore Central and Bangalore Rural – with the second one witnesing a high-profile contest between Infosys co-founder Nandan Nilekani and BJP`s Anantha Kumar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day