Major market rally unlikely as poll outcome already priced in
Mumbai: The rally in Dalal Street may continue if a stable government is formed at the Centre, but major gains are unlikely as markets have already factored in poll outcome partly as visible from recent rise in indices.
"Markets are likely to react positively if a stable government is elected, but it might have already partly priced in a positive outcome based on the opinion polls," a Standard Chartered report said.
Ruling out wild movements in the currency market either ways following the poll outcome, the report said while equity markets have reacted strongly to unexpected electoral outcomes in the past, currency market reaction has been muted on such instances.
Analysing economic policies of Congress and BJP, the report said both the parties have a lot in common in their economic policies and said economic liberalisation will continue regardless of which party forms the next ministry.
"The Congress and BJP share similarities in their broad economic ideologies. They have similar, though not identical, views on opening up the economy to trade and capital inflows, financial sector reforms, private sector participation, and providing macro stability through lower twin deficits," it said, adding economic policy is likely to continue regardless of the election outcome.
It, however, said, "if a coalition of regional parties forms the next government, markets may have to wait for some time to understand its economic stance, which could mean a period of uncertainty."
On the pace of policy implementation, it said the track record of BJP-led NDA coalition from 1998-2004 suggests that it will focus more on implementation, which could benefit infrastructure and industrial development.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22