It`s a `Modi storm and not wave` in Rae Bareli: BJP nominee
Rae Bareli: Considered a `lightweight` against Congress chief Sonia Gandhi in this Nehru-Gandhi family bastion, BJP candidate Ajay Agrawal, a lawyer by profession, is banking on what he calls a "Modi storm and not wave" here to see him through.
A Supreme Court lawyer, who had pursued Bofors scam besides many other high-profile cases, Agrawal is undeterred by the fact that no Nehru-Gandhi family member has ever lost from here except after Emergency in 1977, when Indira Gandhi was defeated by Raj Narain of Janata Party.
Sonia has won the seat thrice in 2004, 2006 (by-election) and 2009 and her votes have increased every time. In 2009, she defeated BSP`s R S Kushwaha by a massive margin of 3.72 lakh votes. BJP`s R B Singh was third with only 25,444 votes.
"Times have changed," he says and ignores frequent barbs from Congress` star campaigner in the constituency Priyanka Gandhi, who says in her public meetings that neither she nor the voters know who the other candidates here are.
This is the first time that Agrawal, who is known for filing PILs and also arguing them in courts, is contesting any assembly or Lok Sabha election.
"There may be a Modi wave in the country but here in Rae Bareli, there is a Modi storm. It is because the people have remained unemployed. There is total unemployment in villages here. Youths have gone to Gujarat, got employment there and earned good salaries. They send half of their earnings to families here," he claims in an interview.
"So the people here, their family members are also happy. This has spread all over Rae Bareli. Everybody wants that Modi should become the prime minister so that their living standards develop," he further says.
Agrawal is also roping in senior leaders like former chief ministers Kalyan Singh, a Lodh, and Rajnath Singh to address rallies here. The Lodh community has a sizable presence in some pockets of the constituency.
There was speculation that BJP would field its firebrand leader Uma Bharti from Rae Bareli but she had preferred Jhansi seat.
Aam Aadmi Party has fielded Archana Srivastava, a social worker, from the seat after its earlier choice, Justice (retd) Fakhruddin, the former Madhya Pradesh and Chhattisgarh High Court judge, withdrew from the fray. BSP has fielded Pravesh Singh.
The ruling Samajwadi Party in Uttar Pradesh, which won four of the five Assembly seats in Rae Bareli in the 2012 Assembly elections, has not fielded any candidate against Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez