It`s official, JD(U) to support AAP chief Arvind Kejriwal in Varanasi
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: The Janata Dal-United has formally announced on Sunday that it will lend its support to the Aam Aadmi Party convenor Arvind Kejriwal, who is contesting Lok Sabha polls against Bharatiya Janata Party`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in Varanasi constituency.
The confirmation has come from the JD-U`s spokesperson KC Tyagi who has said that the Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar and party chief Sharad Yadav have given their approval to support AAP`s campaign in the constituency.
"Nitish himself told me that I should go and campaign for Kejriwal in Varanasi. He expressed his inability to do so as he is busy with the poll campaign in Bihar," Tyagi said.
"I took prior permission from Sharad (Yadav) as well. It was only after that I announced it to the media as the spokesperson of the party," said Tyagi.
Differences emerged in the Janta Dal-United over supporting Aam Aadmi Party`s Arvind Kejriwal when state president Vashishtha Narayan Singh disapproved of Tyagi`s announcement.
"There was no dispute. I spoke to Vashishtha (Narayan) and he said that no JD-U worker will be able to go to Varanasi as they are needed in the state where two rounds of polls are still due. I agreed to it," Tyagi said.
JD-U general secretary Javed Raza said that the decision to campaign in Varanasi for Kejriwal was made at the central level.
"There are some issues on which decisions are made at the central level. This was our decision. On other issues, the state unit takes a call and we approve of it," said Raza.
Tyagi also said he will be going to Varanasi Monday with Sharad Yadav where they are going to address a joint election meeting with AAP leaders.
"We will be staying there tomorrow (Monday) and will return the next day. Sharad Yadav will return to Bihar afterwards," said Tyagi, who is also secretary-general of the party.
(With IANS inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Shocking: New ISIS video shows English-speaking boy beheading man
- Modi should not think of sending forces to fight ISIS: AIMIM chief Owaisi
- Panel discussion over politicians using Dalits as vote banks
- Siachen: All 10 missing soldiers hit by avalanche confirmed dead
- LTCG tax concession for under construction property
- `Jawaharlal Nehru awarded the man who stole Subhas Chandra Bose's INA treasure`
- ‘Ghayal Once Again’ tweet review
- Hashim Amla refuses to be interviewed by 'underdressed' Indian TV anchor: Report
- Scariest ever ghosts caught on camera, video goes viral - Watch
- Deepika Padukone's first shot from 'XXX 3' revealed! See pic