Jaitley backs Swamy`s claim; Amarinder to take legal action
Amritsar: BJP leader Arun Jaitley today backed the claim by Subramanian Swamy that Amarinder Singh has not disclosed offshore accounts held by his two family members in his nomination papers, a charge on which the Congress leader today threatened legal action.
Jaitley said that his (Swamy`s) charge is based on documents. Swamy`s statement is not a vague allegation, Jaitley said adding that it gives details of the trust of which there are Indian beneficiaries. "It also refers to details of certain accounts," he claimed.
"Obviously, nobody expects during election time, the family to admit that it has parked illegal funds in tax havens. But is it enough to say that the allegation is baseless and malicious? The specific details need to be answered," he said.
Jaitley said the matter should be probed.
"It is for the government of India through its agencies to issue a letter to competent authorities outside asking for details. It is only then that these details can either be confirmed or contradicted. Are the persons named in Swamy`s statement willing to waive off all legal rights in favour of the government agencies, asking the government to come out with confirmation or denial"?
Meanwhile, Amarinder asked Jaitley as why was he "so scared" of naming the "important political family in Punjab" which, according to him, "had parked illegal funds abroad by registering a Trust in a tax haven".
"Or is it only because you know that it is all fiction as it has been scripted by you only and circulated for the purpose of elections through hiring the services of a mercenary like Subramanian Swamy who can do anything for a price," he asked.
On Jaitley`s statement that matter should be probed, Amarinder said, yes it must be probed and it will be probed as he was "taking the legal action against Swamy".
"I have full faith in our judicial system and that is why I am taking the legal recourse," he said. "I hope even Jaitley as a lawyer also has faith in the (judicial) system and till then one expects him to exercise restraint rather than riding piggy back on a mercenary no matter even if he has hired him himself and paid a price for it".
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah