Jaitley`s defeat draws camparison to Narasimha Rao`s 1984 loss
New Delhi: With the defeat of Arun Jaitley in his maiden electoral battle, Amritsar has become a sort of `Hanamkonda` for the BJP.
Hanamkonda was the constituency in Andhra Pradesh from where P V Narasimha Rao had contested in 1984 and had lost the elections when there was a major upsurge in favour of Congress almost all over the country.
Rao was defeated by little known C Janga Reddy of BJP at a time when Congress won as many as 414 Lok Sabha seats in the wake of assassination of Indira Gandhi.
Rao was later elected from Ramtek in Maharashtra.
In the elections, BJP had received a shock of its life by gaining just two seats all over the country. Other seat was in Gujarat from where A K Patel had won.
This time Narendra Modi wave swept several parts of India including the north but Jaitley lost convincingly in Amritsar against former Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh despite Modi campaigning for him.
As Rao had become an important Cabinet minister in Rajiv Gandhi`s government, Jaitley is also tipped to find a place in the Modi government. The talk is that he might get the key portfolio of Finance due to his closness to Modi.
Jaitley, who has been Leader of Opposition in the Rajya Sabha, is a member of the Upper House from Gujarat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof