Jamaat-e-Islami Hind extends support to Kejriwal in Varanasi
Aligarh: An influential Muslim organisation, Jamaat-e-Islami Hind, has endorsed the candidature of Aam Aadmi Party`s Arvind Kejriwal for the Varanasi seat where he is contesting against BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi.
Maulana Syed Jalaluddin Umri, national president of the organisation, said, "We have taken this decision after due deliberation. We consider it imperative that for thwarting the designs of divisive forces, all secular forces should rally around Kejriwal in Varanasi."
The 90-year-old Maulana, an internationally renowned Islamic scholar hailing from Aligarh, normally refrains from issuing statements of support during elections, but seems to have made an exception this time.
The endorsement by Jamaat-e-Islami can provide electoral advantage to Kejriwal in a city that has significant Muslim population.
Congress`s Ajay Rai is also actively wooing the Muslim community and has already garnered the support of Mukhtar Ansari`s Qaumi Ekta Dal.
The polling here is scheduled for May 12.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!
- Here’s how you can make sex steamy, longer!