Jayalalithaa slams Karunanidhi for offer of support to Congress
Pollachi: In a scathing attack on her arch rival DMK chief M Karunanidhi for his recent offer of support to Congress if it "regretted its mistakes," Chief Minister and AIADMK supremo Jayalalithaa on Tuesday alleged it was made to wriggle out of the 2G spectrum case, in which his daugther Kanimozhi and party leader A Raja are accused.
Addressing an election rally here, she said the recent utterances of Karunanidhi vis-a-vis support for Congress only disproved the claim made by DMK when it severed ties with the UPA over Sri Lankan Tamils issue.
DMK had supported all the "anti-people policies" of UPA government when it was a part of the alliance for nine years, she said and asked Karunanidhi whether it was not true that his party left the UPA being upset over the incarceration of his daughter in the 2G spectrum case.
"It was only to hoodwink you and get votes that he cited the Lankan Tamils issue. He does not have real concern for Tamils. After stating that the Congerss was ungrateful, now he is saying that his party was ready to support it," she said.
She asked why the DMK chief did not decalre he would never support the "inhumane" Congress when he condemned India`s abstention at the UNHRC on the resolution against Sri Lanka.
"Will Karunanidhi have the courage to say so at least hereafter? What do you think?" she asked the gathering who roared "no".
Dwelling at length on the 2G case, she said if Rs 214 crore received by a TV channel in which Karunanidhi`s wife and Kanimozhi were directors was genuine transaction, why it was repaid in a hurry.
"Why and how the money was given back? Is Karunanidhi ready to give explanation to all these?" she asked.
Referring to the Nira Radia tapes, she said the "lobbyist" had also held discussions with the relative of Karunanidhi and Kanimozhi, which revealed many things and sought to know why the DMK chief did not file a defamation case, if the reports were wrong.
"If he is going to say that these were not true, why he did not sue those behind the release for libel."
Alleging that Karunanidhi was trying to bury the spectrum scam, she said the DMK chief`s efforts to deceive people will not bear fruit.
"I urge you to teach a fitting lesson to Karunanidhi-led DMK for trying to deceive the people for selfish purposes," she added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in