Jolt to Congress, Kandari rejoins BJP
Dehradun: In yet another blow to Congress ahead of polling for Lok Sabha seats in Uttarakhand, party heavyweight Matbar Singh Kandari today rejoined the BJP along with his supporters.
Welcoming him back into the party-fold, state BJP chief Tirath Singh Rawat said Kandari`s return would further boost the party`s prospects at the hustings.
Kandari said he regretted taking a wrong step by joining the Congress and felt relieved now as he was back in the party he belonged to.
A BJP MLA in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand assemblies for many years, Kandari defected to the Congress in September 2012 after he was denied the BJP ticket for Tehri Lok Sabha bypoll.
Kandari was a Cabinet minister during Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank`s tenure as chief minister of Uttarakhand.
Last month, the Congress suffered a jolt ahead of Lok Sabha elections when its sitting MP from Pauri Lok Sabha seat Satpal Maharaj defected to the BJP.
Polling to five Lok Sabha seats of Uttarakhand is slated for May 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees