Jolt to Congress, Kandari rejoins BJP
Dehradun: In yet another blow to Congress ahead of polling for Lok Sabha seats in Uttarakhand, party heavyweight Matbar Singh Kandari today rejoined the BJP along with his supporters.
Welcoming him back into the party-fold, state BJP chief Tirath Singh Rawat said Kandari`s return would further boost the party`s prospects at the hustings.
Kandari said he regretted taking a wrong step by joining the Congress and felt relieved now as he was back in the party he belonged to.
A BJP MLA in Uttar Pradesh and Uttarakhand assemblies for many years, Kandari defected to the Congress in September 2012 after he was denied the BJP ticket for Tehri Lok Sabha bypoll.
Kandari was a Cabinet minister during Ramesh Pokhariyal Nishank`s tenure as chief minister of Uttarakhand.
Last month, the Congress suffered a jolt ahead of Lok Sabha elections when its sitting MP from Pauri Lok Sabha seat Satpal Maharaj defected to the BJP.
Polling to five Lok Sabha seats of Uttarakhand is slated for May 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog