Jolt to Nitish Kumar, Kisanganj candidate withdraws in favour of Congress
Kisanganj: Chief Minister Nitish Kumar Tuesday suffered a jolt as JD(U) candidate from Kisanganj withdrew in favour of Congress nominee in the Parliamentary Election.
"I have decided to withdraw myself from election in favour of sitting Congress candidate to check split of minority votes," JD(U) candidate Akhtarul Iman said.
Congress candidate Maulana Asrarul Haque is seeking re-election from the minority dominated Kisanganj Lok Sabha seat.
Iman had recently crossed over to JD(U) from RJD and had resigned as MLA of that party from Kochadhaman in Kisanganj district. He was among 13 RJD MLAs to rebel against the party and seek separate status.
He was rewarded by Nitish Kumar with Lok Sabha ticket from Kisanganj.
With the withdrawal of Iman, Kisanganj will witness a direct contest between Asrarul Haque (Congress) and D K Jaiswal (BJP). The seat will go to voting on April 24.
Iman said he tried to contact the Chief Minister to acquaint him with his decision to withdraw from the race, but could not get through him. "I have acquainted JD(U) leaders in Kisanganj about the decision," he said.
"My purpose to enter the field was to defeat communal forces represented by Narendra Modi... I decided to withdraw from the race to strengthen the secular forces," he said.
Iman, however, said he would remain in JD(U).
Sources in Kisanganj attributed the withdrawal to lack of support he was getting from the chief minister.
JD(U) cannot put a replacement for Iman as last date for filing nomination for April 24 poll ended on April 9.
The bad news from Kisanganj came to Nitish Kumar close on the heels of another party candidate Shabir Ali pulling him out of the race from Sheohar Lok Sabha seat.
JD(U), however, was able to field state minister Shahid Ali Khan from Sheohar Parliamentary seat.
Later Shabir Ali left JD(U) for BJP, but soon he was out of the saffron party because of strong resistance from BJP leader Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Rio Olympics 2016: NADA to take decision on Narsingh Yadav's fate today
- Intruder who ‘spiked’ wrestler Narsingh Yadav’s food identified: Sources
- China increases soldiers at Ladakh's Pangong Lake
- Madhya Pradesh: Two women assaulted at railway station for carrying beef
- SHOCKING! Former PM Manmohan Singh's plane nearly crashed in 2007
- Narsingh Yadav doping row: Did brother of international wrestler spike his food in Sonipat?
- 1st Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka vs Australia - As it happened...
- ALARMING: Terrorist captured alive by security forces in Kashmir is a Pakistani from Lahore
- Sensex stages strong comeback, climbs 144 points in early trade