Karnataka govt urges EC to withdraw Model Code
Bangalore: With the single-phase Lok Sabha polls in the state over on April 17, Karnataka Government has written to the Election Commission asking it to withdraw the Model Code of Conduct to enable it to take up developmental programmes.
Law and Parliamentary Affairs Minister T B Jayachandra said the Chief Secretary has written a letter to the Election Commission to withdraw Model Code of Conduct.
"We are expecting a response from the EC soon," he told reporters here.
Minister of State for Primary and Secondary Education Kimmane Ratnakar said government was waiting for a letter from EC announcing withdrawal of the Model Code of Conduct to take up programmes including free bicycle distribution scheme.
Speaking to reporters separately, Ratnakar said the tender process involving the implementation of free bicycle distribution scheme had been completed, but could not be pushed forward due to the Model Code.
"Once we get the nod from the EC, we will immediately distribute the bicycles to high school students," he said.
The Minister said the Model Code affected the distribution of free books and uniforms to school students. "By first week of June, free books and uniforms will be distributed," he said.
The government has alloted Rs 90 crore for free books, Rs 80 crore for uniforms and Rs 173 crore for bicycle distribution, Ratnakar said.
He also said the transfer of teachers has been affected due to the Model Code. Transfer of 16,000 couple-employees has been affected and the government plans to bring strict transfer policy soon to put a check on middlemen.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- DNA: 50-lane traffic jam in China during national holiday
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?