Jagan Mohan Reddy – Can`t avoid him any further
Post the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh, YSR Congress party chief Jagan Mohan Reddy has emerged as a force to reckon with in Seemandhra and may emerge as the biggest winner in the parliamentary elections. Son of late Andhra Pradesh chief minister YS Rajasekhara Reddy, Jagan was born on December 21, 1972 in Pulivendula village of Kadapa District in Andhra Pradesh. In March 2011, Jagan announced the setting up of his own Yuvajana Sramika Rythu Congress -- YSR Congress -- after he revolted against the Congress high command for not handing over the reins of the party, post his father`s demise.
Later the Kadappa MP got embroiled in a number of criminal cases over his assets, leading to him having to spend over a year in jail before he was granted bail. Jagan was lodged in jail May 2012 till September 2013 and at present is out on bail.
However, Jagan`s jail-term earned him people`s sympathies. They relate him as they did with his late father, who was a mass leader. His opposition to divide Andhra has also boosted his chances to win big in the Lok Sabha polls.
The only son of late chief minister of Andhra Pradesh YS Rajasekhara Reddy, Jagan began his business career in 1999-2000 with power company Sandur in neighbouring Karnataka and then expanding it to the north-eastern states.
Jagan later stepped into politics by embarking on the Odarpu Yatra as he went round villages and districts to console families that lost their kin in the aftermath of YSR`s sudden death, earning his sympathy.
Jagan has a strong support base in Seemandhra where the Christians, minorities and Reddys are expected to vote for his party. With his stand for the united Andhra, he might also succeed in winning over the middle class votes in Seemandhra. Whether the YSR Congress-led by Jagan would swing towards the Congress camp or the BJP, it will only be clear once the LS election results are out. However, with Assembly elections also around the corner, Jagan`s long wish to be the CM of the state might be in the hindsight.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with India's first NBA player Satnam Singh
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra