Lalu alleges poll officials intimidated voters, writes to EC
Patna: Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) chief Lalu Prasad on Friday lodged a complaint with the Election Commission, alleging that poll officials forced his party voters to stay away or vote for other parties in Gaya Lok Sabha constituency which witnessed polls yesterday.
Prasad also submitted CDs of the alleged incident in support of his allegations.
The former Bihar chief minister in his complaint alleged, "administration, apparently under the guidance of the Presiding Officer, hurled abuses and threatened our voters, predominantly women, to cast their votes on lotus (BJP) and arrow (JDU) symbols at polling station number 180 under Belaganj Assembly segment of Gaya Lok Sabha constituency".
"I have submitted a letter and a corroborating CD to Bihar Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Ajay V Nayak and demanded stern action against the persons involved in the incident," Prasad told reporters.
"Our voters were beaten up. That particular Presiding Officer shown in the video should be dismissed. Repoll should be ordered at that polling station," he suggested.
Incidentally, the CD, which was displayed in front of media persons at RJD`s state headquarters today, showed firing by unidentified persons to shoo away the voters.
Gaya, along with five other constituencies Aurangabad, Sasaram, Karakat, Jamui and Nawada went to polls yesterday.
"This kind of behaviour by polling officials will be inimical to smooth polling. It will lead to change in the present peaceful situation. If anybody abuses our `bahu-beti` (women folk), the voters of Bihar will not keep quiet," Prasad said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says