Leaders like Masood must be debarred from politics: KC Tyagi
Patna: Janata Dal (United) leader KC Tyagi on Saturday asked the Chief Election Commissioner to debar leaders like Imran Masood from contesting elections.
"Persons like Imran Masood have no place in politics. I have already written a letter to the Chief Election Commissioner that hate speech campaigns must be stopped. The leader of any political party, irrespective of political affiliation, must be debarred from contesting elections," Tyagi said.
Imran Masood, the Congress Party candidate who was to contest elections from Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh, has been arrested for his `hate speech` against BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi made recently.
Masood, was arrested on the basis of a video clipping that went viral on the web. The clipping showed threatening to "chop Narendra Modi to pieces", igniting a new political controversy prior to next month`s General Election.
He is now facing criminal charges for his hate speech, though he maintains that he never threatened to kill Modi, but only to teach him a lesson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another