Leaders like Masood must be debarred from politics: KC Tyagi
Patna: Janata Dal (United) leader KC Tyagi on Saturday asked the Chief Election Commissioner to debar leaders like Imran Masood from contesting elections.
"Persons like Imran Masood have no place in politics. I have already written a letter to the Chief Election Commissioner that hate speech campaigns must be stopped. The leader of any political party, irrespective of political affiliation, must be debarred from contesting elections," Tyagi said.
Imran Masood, the Congress Party candidate who was to contest elections from Saharanpur in Uttar Pradesh, has been arrested for his `hate speech` against BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi made recently.
Masood, was arrested on the basis of a video clipping that went viral on the web. The clipping showed threatening to "chop Narendra Modi to pieces", igniting a new political controversy prior to next month`s General Election.
He is now facing criminal charges for his hate speech, though he maintains that he never threatened to kill Modi, but only to teach him a lesson.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Jaya and Amitabh Bachchan living separately: Amar Singh makes shocking revelations