LK Advani wants voters who played truant debarred, writes to EC
Jhabua: Raising his pitch for active participation of voters in elections, BJP patriarch LK Advani on Saturday appealed to the Election Commission to consider debarring those voters from exercising their right to franchise who have failed to cast their vote in previous poll.
Addressing a public meeting at Thandla, about 40 km from here, Advani said, "There are some countries in world where fine is imposed on those who do not vote."
"Though I would not like any fine to be imposed in India, but want that if someone does not cast his vote in election he should not be allowed to vote in next election," Advani said, adding that he has written to Election Commission in this regard.
Advani appealed to people to exercise their right to franchise without fail. "People must be aware of their right to vote and should exercise this right every election."
Speaking on the occasion, Madhya Pradesh chief minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan appealed to people to vote for BJP nominee from Ratlam-Jhabua constituency, Dilip Singh Bhuria.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players