Lok Sabha polls 2014: 58.26 per cent turnout recorded in Varanasi
Varanasi: A record turnout of 58.26 per cent was registered in yesterday`s Lok Sabha election in Varanasi from where BJP Prime Ministerial nominee Narendra Modi and Aam Aadmi Party convener Arvind Kejriwal are pitted in a high-profile contest.
From a mere 46 per cent in 2009, the temple city saw a 12 per cent jump in the turnout in the most eagerly watched poll battle in the country.
The city also saw a record 42 candidates contesting for the Lok Sabha seat.
District election officials today visited the strongrooms in Paharia area here to take stock of the situation. Strong security, including paramilitary force besides CCTV cameras, have been deployed in and around the area.
The district election officer cum district magistrate, Pranjal Yadav also held a review meeting with election officials at the counting centre, where counting of votes will take place on May 16.
The polling was conducted yesterday in a peaceful manner here, and the highest turnout of 60.80 percent was registered in Sewapuri assembly constituency whereas the lowest turnout of 55.33 per cent was registered in Varanasi North assembly constituency, a poll official said.
A total of 10,28,763, including 5,93,212 male and 4,35,541 female, votes were polled in the city, the official said, adding that 60.23 per cent of men and 55.76 per cent of women in the city exercised their franchise.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly