Lok Sabha polls 2014: Independent candidate hopes to end bachelorhood after win in Assam
Barpeta (Assam): An Independent contesting from this Lok Sabha seat has promised to chase illegal migrants out, open gyms and help youths get married besides himself ending a vow and entering into the wedlock if he is elected.
Kamal Uddin, 66, is a bachelor and has vowed not to get married until he wins an election. So far, he has fought seven elections - four Assembly and two zila parishad. This is his first shot at Lok Sabha polls and he is up against sitting MP Ismail Hussain of Congress, Chandra Mohan Patowary of BJP, AGP`s Phani Bhusan Choudhury and Sirajuddin Ajmal of AIUDF among others. Polling for this seat is on April 24.
Though he has not regrets about being a bachelor all these years, Kamal Uddin, feels May 16 might ultimately be his `D-day`.
"I am sure people will vote for me overwhelmingly and elect me," he told PTI.
Asked what makes him so confident, Kamal Uddin, who is a class IV pass-out and once a blacksmith, says it is because of his association with the people and his resolve to end their miseries.
He has been circulating a pamphlet which mentions 15 election promises.
Among them are helping youths of marriageable age tie the knot, providing livestock to poor women, constructing an international airport in the district, chase illegal migrants and open gymnasiums in all blocks of the district. He has also promised to marry if he wins.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened