Lok Sabha polls 2014: Nominations close for eighth phase
New Delhi: Nominations closed on Saturday for the penultimate round of Lok Sabha election on May 7 in which 64 seats will go to polls in seven states.
In Himachal Pradesh, 14 candidates filed nominations for four Lok Sabha seats on the last day. With this, 52 nominations have been filed.
Scrutiny of nomination papers for this phase would take place on April 21 while the last date of withdrawal in April 23.
As many as 27 candidates have entered the fray from Baramulla and Ladakh parliamentary constituencies of Jammu and Kashmir.
While 18 candidates have filed their papers for the Baramulla Lok Sabha seat, nine contestants have entered the fray from Ladakh parliamentary constituency.
79 candidates have filed their nomination papers for six seats in West Bengal.
16 candidates filed their nominations from Purulia, followed by 15 from Bankura, 14 from Asansol, 13 from Jhargram, 12 from Midnapore and nine from Bishnupur parliamentary constituencies.
Meanwhile, 46 candidates have so far filed their nominations for 17 seats that will go to polls in the final phase of Lok Sabha elections to be held on May 12.
In UP, Allahabad Mayor Abhilasha Gupta filed her nomination from the constituency as a covering candidate for her husband Nand Gopal Gupta "Nandi", who is the official nominee of the Congress.
In Varanasi, which will go to polls on May 12, Samajwadi Party candidate Kailash Chaurasia and transgender Kamla, who will be challenging BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, filed their nomination papers.
The eigth and penultimate round will see election in 25 seats in Andhra Pradesh, seven in Bihar, four in Himachal Pradesh, two in Jammu and Kashmir, 15 in UP, five in Uttarakhand and six in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets