Lok Sabha polls 2014: Nominations close for eighth phase
New Delhi: Nominations closed on Saturday for the penultimate round of Lok Sabha election on May 7 in which 64 seats will go to polls in seven states.
In Himachal Pradesh, 14 candidates filed nominations for four Lok Sabha seats on the last day. With this, 52 nominations have been filed.
Scrutiny of nomination papers for this phase would take place on April 21 while the last date of withdrawal in April 23.
As many as 27 candidates have entered the fray from Baramulla and Ladakh parliamentary constituencies of Jammu and Kashmir.
While 18 candidates have filed their papers for the Baramulla Lok Sabha seat, nine contestants have entered the fray from Ladakh parliamentary constituency.
79 candidates have filed their nomination papers for six seats in West Bengal.
16 candidates filed their nominations from Purulia, followed by 15 from Bankura, 14 from Asansol, 13 from Jhargram, 12 from Midnapore and nine from Bishnupur parliamentary constituencies.
Meanwhile, 46 candidates have so far filed their nominations for 17 seats that will go to polls in the final phase of Lok Sabha elections to be held on May 12.
In UP, Allahabad Mayor Abhilasha Gupta filed her nomination from the constituency as a covering candidate for her husband Nand Gopal Gupta "Nandi", who is the official nominee of the Congress.
In Varanasi, which will go to polls on May 12, Samajwadi Party candidate Kailash Chaurasia and transgender Kamla, who will be challenging BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, filed their nomination papers.
The eigth and penultimate round will see election in 25 seats in Andhra Pradesh, seven in Bihar, four in Himachal Pradesh, two in Jammu and Kashmir, 15 in UP, five in Uttarakhand and six in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report