Lok Sabha polls 2014: Nominations close for eighth phase
New Delhi: Nominations closed on Saturday for the penultimate round of Lok Sabha election on May 7 in which 64 seats will go to polls in seven states.
In Himachal Pradesh, 14 candidates filed nominations for four Lok Sabha seats on the last day. With this, 52 nominations have been filed.
Scrutiny of nomination papers for this phase would take place on April 21 while the last date of withdrawal in April 23.
As many as 27 candidates have entered the fray from Baramulla and Ladakh parliamentary constituencies of Jammu and Kashmir.
While 18 candidates have filed their papers for the Baramulla Lok Sabha seat, nine contestants have entered the fray from Ladakh parliamentary constituency.
79 candidates have filed their nomination papers for six seats in West Bengal.
16 candidates filed their nominations from Purulia, followed by 15 from Bankura, 14 from Asansol, 13 from Jhargram, 12 from Midnapore and nine from Bishnupur parliamentary constituencies.
Meanwhile, 46 candidates have so far filed their nominations for 17 seats that will go to polls in the final phase of Lok Sabha elections to be held on May 12.
In UP, Allahabad Mayor Abhilasha Gupta filed her nomination from the constituency as a covering candidate for her husband Nand Gopal Gupta "Nandi", who is the official nominee of the Congress.
In Varanasi, which will go to polls on May 12, Samajwadi Party candidate Kailash Chaurasia and transgender Kamla, who will be challenging BJP prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, filed their nomination papers.
The eigth and penultimate round will see election in 25 seats in Andhra Pradesh, seven in Bihar, four in Himachal Pradesh, two in Jammu and Kashmir, 15 in UP, five in Uttarakhand and six in West Bengal.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- Shocking! 7 veg food items that may actually be non veg
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Say hello to 'nastiest' star ever
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy