LS poll cost 80 times up since 1952; Rs 10 cr to Rs 846 cr
New Delhi: The poll holding exercise has witnessed a whopping jump by 80 times to Rs 846 crore since 1952 when it was mere Rs 10 crore.
The entire expenditure on actual conduct of elections to Lok Sabha is borne by the government of India and such expenditure on conduct of election to state legislatures by the respective state governments when such elections are held independently.
If concurrent election to Lok Sabha and state legislative assembly is held then such expenditure is shared between central and respective state governments.
A total of Rs 10.45 crore was spent on country`s first election in 1952. As many as Rs 846.66 crore was spent during last general elections in 2009, according to data released by the government.
The Centre has borne Rs 5.9 crore expenditure incurred on elections in 1957, as against Rs 7.32 crore in 1962 and Rs 10.79 crore in 1967, the data said.
About Rs 11.60 crore was spent in 1971, Rs 23.03 crore in 1977, Rs 54.77 crore in 1980 and Rs 81.51 crore for conducting elections during 1984-85, it said.
About Rs 154.22 crore was spent for conducting elections in 1989, Rs 359.10 crore in 1991-91, Rs 597.34 crore in 1996, Rs 666.22 crore in 1998, Rs 947.68 crore in 1999 and Rs 1,113.87 crore in 2004, the data said.
"Expenditure incurred on items of common concern to the central and the state governments like expenditure on regular election establishment, preparation and revision of electoral roll etc. Is shared on 50:50 basis irrespective of whether such expenditure is incurred in connection with the elections to the Lok Sabha or state legislatures.
"Even if election is to Lok Sabha, expenditure towards law and order maintenance is born by respective state governments only," according to the government.
India will spend over Rs 5,000 crore in the ongoing Lok Sabha polls, with around Rs 10 crore estimated to be spent on each constituency on an average, as per the Election Commission estimates.
Conduct of Assembly elections in four states-- Andhra Pradesh, Odisha, Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh-- will cost the exchequer about Rs 1,000 crore, Election Commissioner HS Brahma had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark