LS poll: Over 950 polling stations earmarked as critical in Maharashtra
Mumbai: About 951 polling stations spread across 19 constituencies in Maharashtra have been identified as critical where balloting will take place tomorrow in the final phase of elections during which 3.17 crore voters are expected to seal the fate of 338 candidates.
The highest number of 130 critical polling stations are in Bhiwandi, followed by 111 in Palghar, 91 in Thane, 86 in Kalyan, 84 in Mumbai North west, 65 in Mumbai South Central Mumbai North east 54, Mumbai North central 47, Aurangabad and Raver 40 each, Mumbai North 25, Mumbai South 30, Dindori 24, Jalgaon 33, Nashik 43, Raigad 19. In Nandurbar there are nine critical polling stations. while in Jalna there are 20.
Similarly, 125 polling stations in Raigad alone have been earmarked as sensitive. There will be 88 polling stations where the process of voting will be webcast.
In Nashik, there are 20, Dindori 15, Aurangabad eight, Raver and Jalna five each, Nandurbar one, Mumbai South 10 and Mumbai South central five and Raigad 19.
About 851 micro observers will be on duty in all the critical and sensitive polling booths out of the total 34,343 in 19 LS seats.
There will be 119 observers in Thane alone. As many as 620 video cameras will be used in the polling process. Union IT and Communication minister Milind Deora (Mumbai South), PWD minister Chhagan Bhujbal (Nashik), Water Resources Minister Sunil Tatkare (Raigad) are among the prominent candidates seeking mandate from the voters tomorrow.
Officials said flying squads were maintaining strict vigil to foil any attempts to appease the voters through money and liquor.
Voting will take place in Mumbai, Thane, Raigad, North Maharashtra and Aurangabad, Jalna in Marathwada from 7 am to 6 pm.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- IPL Betting: Lalit Modi names three cricketers who were bribed
- PM Modi lays foundation stone of IARI at Barhi: As it happened
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report