LS polls: Preventive action against 3.21 lakh people in Bihar
Patna: The Election Commission (EC) has initiated action against 3.21 lakh people under preventive sections of the Criminal Procedure Code to ensure smooth polling in Bihar, official sources said on Wednesday.
"Apart from the 3.21 lakh people against whom preventive action has been started, another 1.4 lakh have filled bonds at police stations and 45,474 non-bailable warrants have been executed," Additional Chief Electoral Officer R Lakshmanan told reporters.
The security forces have so far seized 573 firearms, 1,459 cartridges and 190 bombs during the efforts to ensure free and fair polls. 26 illicit arms manufacturing centres have been raided and large amount of explosive materials and detonators have been seized too, he said.
"We have also registered 827 cases of violations of the model code of conduct in the state. 374 of them are related to defacement of public property and 106 are of misuse of vehicles, flags and beacon lights. The rest are for illegal meeting, speech, violation of Loudspeaker Act and defacement of private property," said Lakshmanan.
The second phase of Lok Sabha elections comprising seven parliamentary constituencies - Patna Sahib, Patliputra, Jehanabad, Nalanda, Munger, Ara and Buxar - will be held in the state tomorrow.
Over 1.22 crore electors will get a chance to decide the fate of 117 candidates in fray for these seven seats. As first time voters, 4.1 lakh people will get an opportunity to exercise their franchise.
Film actor Shatrughan Sinha (BJP) from Patna Sahib, RJD President Lalu Prasad`s eldest daughter Misa Bharti from Patliputra, Former Union Home Secretary RK Singh (BJP) from Ara, and, Bihar`s richest candidate, realtor Anil Sharma (JD-U) from Jehanabad are some of the better known candidates in this phase.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBI confirms Delhi health minister Satyendra Jain's indulgence in Hawala business
- Should army take strict action against stone pelters of J&K?
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- DNA: Reason behind electricity crisis in India despite being power surplus nation
- The Kapil Sharma Show: No Sunday episode this weekend? Here’s why
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- India vs Australia: Virat Kohli takes reconciliatory path, says his friendship comment was 'blown out of proportion'