LS polls: RJD candidate Prabhunath Singh goes missing after arrest warrants
Patna: Apprehending arrest after issuance of two non-bailable warrants against him in election related cases, Maharajganj sitting MP and RJD candidate Prabhunath Singh has gone missing.
"The police is looking for Singh to execute the warrants, but he is not present in the district. As per our information he has gone to New Delhi," said Saran district magistrate and district electoral officer Kundan Kumar.
Singh, known as a muscleman leader of the area, who is already facing a few criminal cases, had two fresh FIRs registered against him since April 17 for allegedly threatening the DM as well as violating the Model Code of Conduct meant for the polls.
"I saw the video footage of the press conference Singh called to talk about me. Referring to me and my allegedly partisan role, he said that this has become a matter of life and death. He told his supporters that he is going to procure a `kafan`, if he dies it should be put on him and if I die, it should be covered with it," said Kumar.
The Saran DM said this was criminal intimidation and he had informed Election Commission about it. An FIR in this connection was lodged against Singh and his supporters by a deputy collector.
"Singh has a habit of intimidating government officials. He had manhandled a probationer IAS officer Alok Ranjan Ghosh during the Lok Sabha by-elections in the constituency in 2009. There have been information about several such incidents," he said.
The issue snowballed as the Saran DM took action over a speech by Singh in which he urged his supporters not to care about their lives and press the EVM button in his party`s favour as many times as possible. When asked for clarification by the administration, he called it `nikamma` (worthless).
"This amounted to a call for bogus voting and Singh was charged under various sections of the Representation of People`s Act and the Indian Penal Code (IPC), including Section 124 (A) of the IPC which deals with sedition," said Kumar.
Another case against Singh was lodged for violating restricted area rules in force at the district collectorate while filing his nomination for the Lok Sabha polls.
Saran superintendent of police Sudhir Kumar Singh said, "We will arrest Prabhunath Singh when we find him. The CD we have clearly shows that he is threatening the DM without taking his name.
"Right now, he (Prabhunath Singh) has gone to the EC in Delhi to represent his case." The RJD candidate has applied for anticipatory bail in the district court and the case will come up for hearing on April 25. Polls in Maharajganj is scheduled on May 7.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre