LS polls: SAD (Kashmir) extends support to PDP
Srinagar : The Shiromani Akali Dal (Kashmir) today extended support to the opposition Peoples Democratic Party for Lok Sabha elections in the Valley.
The members of the Akali Dal, led by its chief Janak Singh Sodhi who is also president of the SGPC, Baramulla, announced their support to the Peoples Democratic Party at a function here, the PDP said in a statement.
Welcoming their support, PDP patron Mufti Mohamamd Sayeed said his party would always safeguard the interest of minorities and work for their dignified and prosperous life.
The party would identify areas of special interests for the Sikh community and work for protecting its identity, he said.
"During its brief tenure, the PDP had given proper political representation to the community by sending one of its members to the Rajya Sabha and inducting another into the Council of Ministers.
"By contrast, the ruling National Conference (NC) which had exploited all communities of the state restricted itself to raising slogans and arranging photo opportunities and did nothing for their welfare," Sayeed said.
Sodhi, who had been associated with the NC for a long time, said the community was "thoroughly disillusioned" with the party.
"The Akali Dal is inspired by the honest and sincere leadership of Sayeed and the agenda for peace and development that the party has presented," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- One year of Modi govt: PM Modi addresses mega rally in Mathura Part-II
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results declared