Maharashtra BJP to discuss post-results future today
Mumbai: The Bharatiya Janata Party`s Maharashtra executive committee will meet and take stock of the post-election and post-results scenario here on Wednesday.
The meeting will be chaired by state BJP chief Devendra Fadnavis and attended by all the top leaders in the state.
Among other things, the first executive meeting after the Lok Sabha elections will discuss the performances, possible outcome of the elections and strengths and weaknesses of various candidates.
With indications pointing to the possibility of a BJP-led National Democratic Alliance government at the centre, there is considerable excitement and speculation on the probable MPs who could make it to central government.
Among the prominent names doing rounds are former BJP chief Nitin Gadkari of Nagpur tipped for a plum development-oriented ministry like surface transport or civil aviation.
There is Gopinath Munde from Beed considered a front-runner for crucial ministeries like agriculture or home.
Other probable names are Kirit Somaiya from Mumbai as a gesture to the Gujarati community of Mumbai for standing behind BJP; Somaiya is reportedly eyeing the finance or commerce ministries.
A couple of relatively junior leaders - but probable giant-killers - are also likely to figure in the list, among them being Poonam Mahajan-Rao, daughter of the late Pramod Mahajan and niece of Munde, besides Heena Gavit, a medico and daughter of former Nationalist Congress Party minister Vijay Kumar Gavit; which would also take care of the women representation in Modi`s cabinet.
The possibility of alliance partner Shiv Sena also getting at least three berths is not ruled out as it did in the previous NDA regime, but it could also depend on the number of seats it manages to win this time.
With so many big names in the BJP expected to remain busy at the centre, it would also open up huge possibilities for other party leaders to fill their vacuum at various levels.
The executive committee is also expected to deliberate on starting preparations for the ensuing Maharashtra Assembly Elections in October where it is hoping to repeat the victory of 1995.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa suffers cardiac arrest; being monitored
- Watch: PM Modi addresses rally in Moradabad, UP - Part II
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: Amma critical, nation's political fraternity expresses concern - Who said what