Mamata Banerjee defying constitution: Opposition
Kolkata: In the wake of West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee refusing to comply with the Election Commission`s order of transferring few officials of her state, the opposition on Tuesday accused her defying the constitution and creating a constitutional crisis.
"This is unprecedented, nothing like this has been heard before. Is it her ego that is preventing her from complying with the law? If her defiance leads to constitutional crisis in the state, she will be the only person to be blamed," Left Front chairman Biman Bose told media persons here.
The poll panel on Monday ordered the transfer of eight West Bengal officials, including five district police chiefs and one district magistrate, asking the state government to implement the order by Tuesday.
However, a defiant Banerjee refused to carry out the instruction and said she was even prepared to go to jail.
However, with the Banerjee government on Tuesday writing to the commission urging it to reconsider the order, Bose dubbed the development as a climbdown.
"The chief secretary today has written to the EC and sent a list of names who might replace the officers who have been asked to be transferred. From outrightly refusing to comply the order to proposing names, the government surely has made a climbdown. Only time will tell, if she will relent more," added Bose.
The state Bharatiya Janata Party which has formally lodged a complaint with the poll panel urged the poll panel to show cause Banerjee for defying the constitution.
"She never had any regard for any democratic or constitutional set up. If she is allowed to continue the constitution like this, there will be a constitutional crisis. That is why we have urged the EC to show cause her," state party president Rahul Sinha said.
Congress leader and former state president Pradip Bhattacharya ridiculed Banerjee for her outburst.
"Had she read the constitution, she would have known that the constitution has invested vast power with the EC. By defying the constitution, she is setting up a bad president which might lead to a crisis," said Bhattacharya.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- DNA: Inside story of Indian Army's surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read