Maneka Gandhi cautions son Varun on Rahul praise
Zee Media Bureau/Deepak Nagpal
Amethi: Two days after Varun Gandhi “praised” the work done by his cousin and Congress vice-president Rahul Gandhi in Amethi, the former`s mother Thursday advised the BJP leader to be careful before making any statement.
Maneka Gandhi was reported as saying that what Varun said on Tuesday night was wrong.
“What Varun Gandhi has said is wrong. I have been to Amethi. He should not speak before verifying the facts.
Varun, 34, had told a group of teachers and NGO activists on Tuesday night: "I want to bring a new form of politics. The way Rahulji has worked successfully in Amethi... though I haven`t seen his work from inside."
Varun said he had been told that programmes launched in Rahul`s constituency Amethi for empowering people were "fairly decent".
However, after his remarks created a flutter Varun was forced to do a U-turn and clarified that he was not backing Rahul.
"It should NOT be seen as an endorsement of any political party or candidate," the BJP leader wrote on Twitter.
Varun`s clarification came after Rahul Gandhi lapped up the praise.
"Whatever Varun is saying is right," Rahul Gandhi said in Rae Bareli yesterday. "I am very happy that other people are appreciating the work in Amethi.
"The work we have done has been done in a strategic manner, to connect the farmers of Amethi with the rest of the world," Gandhi added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Historic solar flight marks first round-the-world journey
- Akshay Kumar’s avatar in John Abraham, Varun Dhawan starrer ‘Dishoom’ will surprise you– See pic
- Bangladesh police storm militant hideout, kill 9 Islamist extremists in Dhaka
- Anita Hassanandani, Rohit Reddy’s Maldives trip will give you vacation goals- See Pics
- India will never forget sacrifices of soldiers: PM Narendra Modi on Kargil Vijay Diwas