Mani Shankar Aiyar among 63 file nominations in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar, anti-nuclear activist and Aam Admi Party`s (AAP) candidate S P Udayakumar were among 63 candidates who filed their papers on the opening day of nominations today for the April 24 Lok Sabha elections in Tamil Nadu.
"Today being the first day for filing of nominations, 63 persons have filed their nominations for the General Elections to Lok Sabha," a release from state Chief Electoral Officer said here.
Aiyar, now a Rajya Sabha member, filed his papers from Mayiladuthurai constituency in the Cauvery delta region.
Udayakumar, who has been spearheading the protests against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant in Tirunelveli District for nearly three years , filed his nomination from neighbouring Kanyakumari constituency.
His colleagues in People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy M.P.Jesuraj and M Pushparayan filed their papers for Tuticorin and Tirunelveli constituencies respectively as AAP nominees.
In Madurai, CPI-M candidate D Vikraman filed his nomination papers. Besides, a number of independents also filed nominations.
Sitting CPI-M MP P R Natarajan filed his nomination from Coimbatore parliamentary constituency.
Natarajan filed his papers before Election Officer and District Collector Archana Patnaik.
Later speaking to reporters, he said that his main target would be to uplift the small and medium industries, which bore the brunt of acute power shortage for the last four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?