Mani Shankar Aiyar among 63 file nominations in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar, anti-nuclear activist and Aam Admi Party`s (AAP) candidate S P Udayakumar were among 63 candidates who filed their papers on the opening day of nominations today for the April 24 Lok Sabha elections in Tamil Nadu.
"Today being the first day for filing of nominations, 63 persons have filed their nominations for the General Elections to Lok Sabha," a release from state Chief Electoral Officer said here.
Aiyar, now a Rajya Sabha member, filed his papers from Mayiladuthurai constituency in the Cauvery delta region.
Udayakumar, who has been spearheading the protests against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant in Tirunelveli District for nearly three years , filed his nomination from neighbouring Kanyakumari constituency.
His colleagues in People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy M.P.Jesuraj and M Pushparayan filed their papers for Tuticorin and Tirunelveli constituencies respectively as AAP nominees.
In Madurai, CPI-M candidate D Vikraman filed his nomination papers. Besides, a number of independents also filed nominations.
Sitting CPI-M MP P R Natarajan filed his nomination from Coimbatore parliamentary constituency.
Natarajan filed his papers before Election Officer and District Collector Archana Patnaik.
Later speaking to reporters, he said that his main target would be to uplift the small and medium industries, which bore the brunt of acute power shortage for the last four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- Sunil Grover to return as Dr Mashoor Gulati!