Mani Shankar Aiyar among 63 file nominations in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Congress leader Mani Shankar Aiyar, anti-nuclear activist and Aam Admi Party`s (AAP) candidate S P Udayakumar were among 63 candidates who filed their papers on the opening day of nominations today for the April 24 Lok Sabha elections in Tamil Nadu.
"Today being the first day for filing of nominations, 63 persons have filed their nominations for the General Elections to Lok Sabha," a release from state Chief Electoral Officer said here.
Aiyar, now a Rajya Sabha member, filed his papers from Mayiladuthurai constituency in the Cauvery delta region.
Udayakumar, who has been spearheading the protests against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Plant in Tirunelveli District for nearly three years , filed his nomination from neighbouring Kanyakumari constituency.
His colleagues in People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy M.P.Jesuraj and M Pushparayan filed their papers for Tuticorin and Tirunelveli constituencies respectively as AAP nominees.
In Madurai, CPI-M candidate D Vikraman filed his nomination papers. Besides, a number of independents also filed nominations.
Sitting CPI-M MP P R Natarajan filed his nomination from Coimbatore parliamentary constituency.
Natarajan filed his papers before Election Officer and District Collector Archana Patnaik.
Later speaking to reporters, he said that his main target would be to uplift the small and medium industries, which bore the brunt of acute power shortage for the last four years.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof