Manmohan Singh`s brother left Congress red-faced after persuasion by Arun Jaitley
Zee Media Bureau/Himanshu Kapoor
Amritsar: The Congress has been left red-faced after Prime Minister Manmohan Singh`s half-brother Daljeet Singh Kohli joined the principal opposition party, BJP. But it was a decision taken by the PM`s step-brother after two months of bonhomie with senior BJP leader Arun Jaitley, who is contesting from Amritsar, according to Kohli`s son Kanwar.
Though his son said that his father`s move to join BJP came as a surprise, but according to Kanwar, Kohli grew fond of Jaitley over past two months and most likely took the decision to support him and also in the interest of Amritsar.
Kanwar said that his father was never interested in joining politics because of what his borther Manmohan went through. After joining the BJP, Kohli said that Singh was never given a free hand as a PM in the Congress party.
Yesterday, the ruling Congress dismissed Singh`s half-brother Daljeet Singh Kohli`s joining BJP as a "non-event", however, the Prime Minister on Saturday said that he was saddened by Daljeet`s decision to join the BJP and that he has no control over anyone`s decision. The PM`s family too expressed shock over the turn of events involving Kohli.
"All our family members are completely shocked with Daljeet`s decision. It may be his personal choice that he has changed his ideology. We are completely with Dr Singh and we support Captain Amarinder Singh here in Amritsar," said PM`s nephew Manbir Singh.
Meanwhile, the Congress hit back at the BJP, saying that the party`s "dirty tricks department" is behind this development. Finance Minister P Chidambaram told reporters at the AICC briefing that PM`s step-brother is a non-political person as far as he knows him and him joining the BJP is a non-issue.
While the Prime Minister`s Office and Congress expressed shock and surprise over Kohli`s decision, the BJP welcome him with open arms in presence of its prime ministerial candidate, Narendra Modi, at a rally in Amritsar.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Arvind Kejriwal takes U-turn on water promise, says BJP
- PM Modi breaks silence on Dadri lynching incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!