Maoists SMSing voters in Bihar, Jharkhand to boycott Lok Sabha polls
Patna: In a first, Maoists are using SMS service to appeal to people to boycott the Lok Sabha polls in Bihar and neighbouring Jharkhand, police officials said on Monday.
"Maoists are sending bulk SMSes to mobile-phone subscribers and appealing to them to boycott the ensuing General Elections," a police official said.
The SMSes were issued on behalf of the Communist Party of India-Maoist border zonal committee spokesperson Avinash.
"In the SMSes, Maoists have urged workers, farmers, youth, women, progressive intellectuals, senior citizens, nationalist and revolutionary people to boycott the polls," police said.
The CPI-Maoists also appealed to its party cadres and its different units, including People`s Liberation Guerrilla Army, through SMSes to target and attack security forces during the election.
Maoists have also called for poll boycott in Jamui, Lakhisarai, Banka, Gaya and Aurangabad districts through posters.
Giving the call for poll boycott, the posters demanded withdrawal of forces engaged in counter-insurgency operations.
Police have seized and removed such posters from various places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!
- Drunk girl creates ruckus in Delhi's Connaught Place; arrested - Watch
- Preity Zinta to tie the knot this Valentine?