Maoists SMSing voters in Bihar, Jharkhand to boycott Lok Sabha polls
Patna: In a first, Maoists are using SMS service to appeal to people to boycott the Lok Sabha polls in Bihar and neighbouring Jharkhand, police officials said on Monday.
"Maoists are sending bulk SMSes to mobile-phone subscribers and appealing to them to boycott the ensuing General Elections," a police official said.
The SMSes were issued on behalf of the Communist Party of India-Maoist border zonal committee spokesperson Avinash.
"In the SMSes, Maoists have urged workers, farmers, youth, women, progressive intellectuals, senior citizens, nationalist and revolutionary people to boycott the polls," police said.
The CPI-Maoists also appealed to its party cadres and its different units, including People`s Liberation Guerrilla Army, through SMSes to target and attack security forces during the election.
Maoists have also called for poll boycott in Jamui, Lakhisarai, Banka, Gaya and Aurangabad districts through posters.
Giving the call for poll boycott, the posters demanded withdrawal of forces engaged in counter-insurgency operations.
Police have seized and removed such posters from various places.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video