Marginal decrease in Independent contestants in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Tamil Nadu has witnessed a marginal decrease in the number of independents taking the poll plunge in the April 24 Lok Sabha elections with 507 trying their luck as against 527 in 2009.
Though lady luck does not smile on them, the enthusiasm of independents has not faded away, a fact seen in all elections, as they constitute a sizeable chunk of contestants.
In 2009 General Elections, 527 contested from 39 Lok Sabha seats, but none met with success.
None of the independents managed to save their deposit as they could only garner 11.49 lakh votes out of 3.03 crore votes polled, bringing to fore the utter disinterest among the electorate towards independents.
Will one get voters` blessing this time around is to be seen on May 16, when votes would be counted.
Tamil Nadu has 5.50 crore eligible voters.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Know how much sex is enough for happiness
- Swaragini: Ragini gets caught in her own trap; Swara slaps her
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Shah Rukh Khan tweets about new ‘Dilwale’ song
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed