Marginal decrease in Independent contestants in Tamil Nadu
Chennai: Tamil Nadu has witnessed a marginal decrease in the number of independents taking the poll plunge in the April 24 Lok Sabha elections with 507 trying their luck as against 527 in 2009.
Though lady luck does not smile on them, the enthusiasm of independents has not faded away, a fact seen in all elections, as they constitute a sizeable chunk of contestants.
In 2009 General Elections, 527 contested from 39 Lok Sabha seats, but none met with success.
None of the independents managed to save their deposit as they could only garner 11.49 lakh votes out of 3.03 crore votes polled, bringing to fore the utter disinterest among the electorate towards independents.
Will one get voters` blessing this time around is to be seen on May 16, when votes would be counted.
Tamil Nadu has 5.50 crore eligible voters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence
- Is it Hardik Patel in this viral MMS Sex Video?