Mayors should be selected on merit, not reservation: Goel
New Delhi: BJP leader Vijay Goel Friday raised objection to the reservation of mayors` post in all three corporations in the coming municipal polls, saying such top positions should be decided on the "basis of merit" only.
"A mayor is the first citizen of Delhi, so let the best person be the mayor rather than choosing it on the basis of reservation," Goel said in a statement.
"I am not against the policy of reservation but it has to be done judiciously and certain posts should be kept out of the realm of reservation. The trifurcation of MCDs has introduced many such anomalies which is affecting the interest of the common people.
"If we really want to have three MCDs, there should have been a Mayor-in-Council. There has to be a mechanism which ensures close coordination between all three municipal bodies. None of this was taken into account as Congress government in Delhi implemented trifurcation in a hurry," he said.
Goel alleged that a section of the top bureaucracy in all three municipal corporations of Delhi is "derailing" the efforts of the BJP councillors to provide better quality services to people.
"The commissioners in all three MCDs are appointed by Delhi government. There is an overwhelming concentration of power in their hands while councillors, who are people`s representatives, are left with no powers," Goel said.
"It is time to have a relook at the trifurcation of the MCDs. It was done from purely political point of view and the administrative aspects were ignored. The result is that we have cash strapped MCDs which are largely controlled by bureaucrats appointed by Delhi government, so they refuse to listen to the elected representatives," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!