Mehbooba doesn`t deserve to become MP again: Omar
Srinagar: Jammu and Kashmir Chief Minister Omar Abdullah today launched a scathing attack on opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP), saying its president Mehbooba Mufti does not deserve to become a member of Parliament again as she miserably failed to represent the state during her earlier term.
"PDP president Mehbooba Mufti could not summon the courage to talk on behalf of her people in Parliament during her tenure as an MP. When asked to get up and speak for her people, about their issues, aspirations and demands, all she had to say as an MP was her famous retort of `Mein Kya Kahun Yaar` (What I will say friends)," Omar said.
Addressing a rally in support of party candidate from Anantnag parliamentary constituency Mehboob Beg at Wasoora in south Kashmir`s Pulwama, the Chief Minister said Mehbooba`s contempt for the people of the state is well demonstrated by the fact that she never chose to get up and represent the state in Parliament.
"Parliament`s archives and records are proof enough to deduce that Mehbooba Mufti does not deserve to become a Member of Parliament," he said.
Mehbooba is contesting the elections from Anantnag Lok Sabha seat against the National Conference sitting MP, and poses a major challenge to Beg to retain the seat which he wrested from PDP in the last Lok Sabha elections.
Accusing PDP of hobnobbing with BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi, Omar who is also working president of National Conference, said the opposition party had "sold its soul" to the BJP and agreed to be a part of BJP`s plan to dilute the state`s special status in return for a promise of "political patronage" from Modi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Munich attack: 18-year-old German-Iranian gunman kills 9 at shopping mall
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley?
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part II
- DNA: Why are politicians and media ignoring the patriotic residents of Gurez Valley? Part III
- DNA: Analyzing the real problems of patriotic Kashmir's residents
- HILARIOUS! Virender Sehwag's take on Kohli and Kabali will leave you in splits
- Hrithik Roshan's kids Hrehaan and Hridhaan emulate daddy dearest and we are loving it! See pic
- France's Francois Hollande says Munich shooting is a ''terrorist attack''
- BSF trooper shoots dead young Muslim woman in Tripura after unsuccessful rape bid - Know what happened
- Brazilian scientists found another type of Zika-transmitting mosquito