Militants open fire on CRPF jawans in Sopore as Baramulla set to vote
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: Militants on Tuesday night opened fire on CRPF personnels, injuring three jawans in Sopore town of Baramulla district in north Kashmir, just a day ahead this crucial constituency is all set for voting in the ongoing Lok Sabha elections.
As per the news reports, the militants fired at the CRPF camp, located near the SBI building in Sopore town, at around 8.15 pm today.
The CRPF personnel retaliated but the militants managed to escape, a CRPF spokesman said.
The injured were immediately rushed to the hospital and there condition was stated to be stable.
No militant outfit has owned the responsibility for the attack yet.
Meanwhile, a police spokesman said an incident of firing was reported from Sopore.
"Two CRPF personnel have suffered injuries in their legs," he said.
"Police are looking whether it is a misfire or a militant fire," the spokesman added, PTI reported.
Centre has deployed More than 30,000 security men to ensure free and peaceful voting tomorrow.
Police and intelligence agencies have termed the May 7 voting for this Lok Sabha seat as their most serious challenge, given security logistics in the 15 assembly segments in Baramulla, Kupwara and Bandipora districts.
Of the total polling stations, 1,091 have been declared hyper-sensitive and 455 sensitive. Only 70 have been declared normal by the Election Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister