Militants open fire on CRPF jawans in Sopore as Baramulla set to vote
Zee Media Bureau
Srinagar: Militants on Tuesday night opened fire on CRPF personnels, injuring three jawans in Sopore town of Baramulla district in north Kashmir, just a day ahead this crucial constituency is all set for voting in the ongoing Lok Sabha elections.
As per the news reports, the militants fired at the CRPF camp, located near the SBI building in Sopore town, at around 8.15 pm today.
The CRPF personnel retaliated but the militants managed to escape, a CRPF spokesman said.
The injured were immediately rushed to the hospital and there condition was stated to be stable.
No militant outfit has owned the responsibility for the attack yet.
Meanwhile, a police spokesman said an incident of firing was reported from Sopore.
"Two CRPF personnel have suffered injuries in their legs," he said.
"Police are looking whether it is a misfire or a militant fire," the spokesman added, PTI reported.
Centre has deployed More than 30,000 security men to ensure free and peaceful voting tomorrow.
Police and intelligence agencies have termed the May 7 voting for this Lok Sabha seat as their most serious challenge, given security logistics in the 15 assembly segments in Baramulla, Kupwara and Bandipora districts.
Of the total polling stations, 1,091 have been declared hyper-sensitive and 455 sensitive. Only 70 have been declared normal by the Election Commission.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- Bollywood celebrities recall Rahul Dev Burman on his 77th birthday
- 7th Pay Commission: Cabinet to decide final payout for central government employees on June 29
- Apple cheers 2016 Pride celebration with a special rainbow Apple Watch!
- Heavy rainfall expected in Vidarbha, Telangana, Andhra; Monsoon set to enter Delhi, Punjab, Haryana
- India's spectrum proceeds seen way below target at $10-$12 bn: HSBC