Mukhtar Ansari not to contest against Narendra Modi
Lucknow: Quami Ekta Dal candidate Mukhtar Ansari has withdrawn from the Lok Sabha contest in Varanasi, his brother Afzaal Ansari announced on Thursday.
Mukhtar Ansari, who has several cases of murder, extortion and dacoity registered against him, said in a statement distributed by his brother that he would reveal his future strategy on April 15.
Afzaal Ansari said the decision was taken in the interests of the minority community.
Mukhtar Ansari, currently in jail, is a member of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly from Mau. He had earlier said he would take on BJP`s prime ministerial candidate Narendra Modi in the Hindu holy city.
Mukhtar Ansari finished second in the 2009 Lok Sabha polls in Varanasi. BJP leader Murli Manohar Joshi scraped through by a few thousand votes as Muslims voted in large numbers for Ansari.
The most prominent candidate pitted against Modi is AAP leader Arvind Kejriwal.
Others in the fray are Kailash Chaurasiya of the Samajwadi Party and Congress legislator Ajay Rai.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Safa Baig: What you need to know about Irfan Pathan's lady love
- Virat Kohli, Anushka Sharma announce their break-up officially: Report
- Irfan Pathan marries 21-year-old Safa Baig in low-key affair
- Awkward! Watch Aditi Rao Hydari speaks about Farhan Akhtar’s divorce!