Mulayam defends govt on riots on first visit to Muzaffarnagar
Muzaffarnagar: Visiting Muzaffarnagar for the first time since the deadly communal riots seven months ago, ruling SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav today reached out to Muslims and claimed Rs 115-crore assistance was given to victims unlike in Gujarat where "not a single rupee" was spent by Narendra Modi for 2002 riots affected.
Addressing a rally in the western UP district that will go to polls on April 10, he said that no party would gain majority in the elections.
The Third Front will form government and SP will emerge as the largest party, he said. With SP government under attack for handling of communal riots that left over 60 people dead and thousands of others homeless, Mulayam claimed the administration had successfully controlled the violence in two days.
"SP government provided an assistance of Rs 115 crore to riot victims. Such?a big amount was never distributed as relief to riot victims in the country.
"Gujarat government led by Modi had not given a single rupee to the riot victims but UP government has distributed relief amount to riot victims without any discrimination," the former UP chief minister said. Referring to the Sachchar committee report, he said that Mulims are economically backward and the state government has planned various welfare schemes for them.
He claimed that Samajwadi party would win more than 50 per cent of the 80 seats in Utter Pradesh. SP leader said that Muslims and farmers have been ignored in the country and they need a helping hand to improve their condition.
He appealed to the people to vote for SP candidate Virender Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will implement 'One Rank, One Pension' without fail: PM Modi
- Delhi: Shakuntala Gamlin writes to LG against AAP minister
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- Jharkhand's Health Minister slaps political rival in public
- One Rank, One Pension: What is complicating its implementation? Part-2
- President Pranab Mukherjee gives nod to re-promulgation of Land Acquisition Ordinance
- PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat' 8th edition: As it happened
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- IMD predicts thundershowers in Delhi, Punjab and UP between June 1-3
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj