Mulayam defends govt on riots on first visit to Muzaffarnagar
Muzaffarnagar: Visiting Muzaffarnagar for the first time since the deadly communal riots seven months ago, ruling SP chief Mulayam Singh Yadav today reached out to Muslims and claimed Rs 115-crore assistance was given to victims unlike in Gujarat where "not a single rupee" was spent by Narendra Modi for 2002 riots affected.
Addressing a rally in the western UP district that will go to polls on April 10, he said that no party would gain majority in the elections.
The Third Front will form government and SP will emerge as the largest party, he said. With SP government under attack for handling of communal riots that left over 60 people dead and thousands of others homeless, Mulayam claimed the administration had successfully controlled the violence in two days.
"SP government provided an assistance of Rs 115 crore to riot victims. Such?a big amount was never distributed as relief to riot victims in the country.
"Gujarat government led by Modi had not given a single rupee to the riot victims but UP government has distributed relief amount to riot victims without any discrimination," the former UP chief minister said. Referring to the Sachchar committee report, he said that Mulims are economically backward and the state government has planned various welfare schemes for them.
He claimed that Samajwadi party would win more than 50 per cent of the 80 seats in Utter Pradesh. SP leader said that Muslims and farmers have been ignored in the country and they need a helping hand to improve their condition.
He appealed to the people to vote for SP candidate Virender Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried