Murder accused shares dais with Nitish Kumar, arrested later
Gaya: In an embarrassment for Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, a fugitive murder accused presided over his election rally here and was arrested later, the police said today.
Javed Khan, former councillor of Gaya Municipality, against whom an arrest warrant issued by a Gaya court was pending since December, presided over the election meeting of Kumar here yesterday.
The warrant was issued in connection with the murder of a property dealer Naushad Khan in April last year.
After the rally, when a hue and cry was raised about a fugitive sharing dais with the CM, the police came into action and arrested him later in the evening.
Khan, whom the Chief Minister also addressed during his speech, was produced before Chief Judicial Magistrate K K Singh who sent him to 14 days judicial custody.
The incident provided the opposition an opportunity to target the ruling party.
Senior BJP leader and party candidate from Nawada Giriraj Singh said it raises a question mark on the law and order situation in the state.
Senior minister Vijay Chaudhary, however, defended the government saying the moment the incident came to light he was arrested and sen to jail which shows the government`s commitment to deal promptly with lawbreakers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed